Early Childhood Education
The Harcum College ECE program is dedicated to preparing students from diverse backgrounds to pursue a professional career in the field of education. The program is based on the NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children) standards which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Promoting child development and learning
- Building family and community relationships
- Observing, documenting, and assessing to support young children and families
- Teaching and learning
- Becoming a professional
The ECE Program strives to prepare our students to become high-quality professionals who will make a difference in their communities by displaying and understanding the importance of professionalism, life-long learning, building community, developmentally-appropriate practice, and culturally responsive awareness.
Skills you will gain
- Early Learning Strategies
- Child Development
- Special Needs Evaluation
- Conflict Resolution
What can I do with a degree in Early Childhood Education
The program is designed to prepare students for one of two optional career paths:
1. Through courses in Early Childhood Development, Program Planning, and a variety of supervised practicum experiences with children aged 0-5, students will be prepared to enter the field of childcare as assistant teachers or assistant group supervisors. After two years experience in the field, graduates with an associates degree may advance professionally to hold positions as lead teachers or group supervisors. Graduates of the program work in infant/toddler programs, preschool settings, and other childcare venues.
2. Students who wish to pursue a career in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education and/or Special Education are provided with the opportunity to acquire foundation skills in Education, as well as to fulfill their core course requirements before transferring to a Bachelors Education program.
Potential Job Titles:
- Assistant Teacher
- Assistant Group Supervisor
- Head Start Staff
- Child Care Worker
- Parent Education Specialist